Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Clash Reunion

Whoa! Just read an online article from Ultimate Guitar stating that Mick and Paul have been talking about a Clash reunion, apparently with Tim Kennedy from Rancid on vocals, replacing late-great Joe Strummer!

So many things going through my head; jubilation, shock and even dismay come to the forefront. It would have been a life-changing moment to see the Clash live with Joe at the helm, but I missed the opportunity when they came through Buffalo. The opportunity to hear "White Riot," "Remote Control," "London Calling" and all the others live would be amazing. But can the Clash be The Clash without Joe? When Mick quit/was kicked out of the band, it was the end of The Clash, they lost their groove as he and Joe wanted to go in different directions. Rumors of re-forming around their induction into the Hall of Fame were seemingly unfounded and died with Joe's death, can they really put it back together?

But dismay seems to clash loudly with my feelings of jubilation and shock. Would Joe be in favor of this? I know he said he would reunite when it felt right, but it seems he had achieved genius, if not legendary status with his band Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros. Certainly he wouldn't feel the need to reunite, would he? And what about the show in Acton, London where Mick joined him on stage? Wasn't that magic? This reminds me of Marky Ramone touring, playing only Ramones tunes, would Joey and Johnny support this? Certainly Joey would and Johnny wouldn't. I don't know where I stand on that issue. But on this Clash issue, I am holding my opinion.

Should they play the USA "I'm so Bored with the USA," I'll be there. And if they play multiple dates, I will be there as well. Further, Mick's new attitude towards recording shows will certainly mean that there will be an ample amount of recorded materials out there.

I fear, however, that the magic is gone.